Served with green peppers and onions
This dish is inspired by a chain Mediterranean restaurant special. Herbed grilled chicken, sweet pineapple, peppers and onions, served on rice and finished with a garlic sauce and sriracha. The chain that this was inspired by has their own house made hot sauce, I haven’t found anything like it yet. If you know something like it, please comment and share.
My family loves takeout. I like to take the dishes they love and make them healthier, and save money. The trick is to make them feel like they aren’t missing out.
I cooked this dish in a grill pan. It would be great on the BBQ as well, but there is currently 5cm of snow on my BBQ at this time so, indoors it is.
I start by making the garlic sauce and putting it in the fridge. It’s best if the flavours are left to blend into each other. About an hour in the fridge is good. You don’t have to blend it in a blender but I like to make my sauce as smooth as possible. The leftovers can be left in the fridge and used on a salad. Combine all ingredients and blend.
When it’s time to cook, I start by grilling the pineapples. I cook in a grill pan about 8 minutes, flip and cook for another 5 minutes. Put aside.
Season chicken breast with rosemary garlic seasoning. Recipe as follows
Rosemary Garlic Seasoning Mixture
- 1.5tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1.5 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp savoury
- 1.5 tsp dried onion
Reserve 1 TBS of seasoning for the green peppers and onions, sprinkle the rest over the chicken and rub it into the meat.
Grill chicken at a medium/hot temperature for 25 minutes. Turning chicken after 15 minutes. If you are cooking on a BBQ adjust cook times, as it will cook faster.
Before flipping the chicken, in a separate pan, heat to a medium heat. Toss green peppers and onions (diced into 1-2″ wide pieces) with reserved seasoning. Add olive oil to the pan, once heated, add peppers and onions. Cook for approx. 10 minutes.
I suggest serving over rice cooked with chicken stock instead of water. The rice is optional. I am feeding an athlete who needs carbs. This meal is filling without the rice. Feel free to leave out.
Plating Suggestion: rice, chicken, 2 pieces of pineapple, 3/4 cup of green peppers and onions, lemon zest, a line of sriracha sauce (omit if you don’t want spicy) garlic sauce and top with a sprinkle of sumac. Sumac isn’t always easy to find. It is a middle eastern seasoning that has a tangy lemony taste. Feel free to omit.
**Picky Eaters Tip: When I make this meal for my family, I reserve 1 piece of chicken and season it only with salt. He will not eat peppers or onions. I serve him the chicken that hasn’t touched the delicious rosemary garlic seasoning, plain rice and a handful of raw baby carrots. Add in a glass of milk and, Boom, all food groups covered. Look at me, killing this mom thing.
- GARLIC SAUCE
- 3/4 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup lowfat mayo
- 2 Tbs milk
- 2 TBS white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 shallot diced
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- 5 chicken breast
- 1 can of pineapple rings
- 4 TBS of rosemary garlic seasoning (see recipe above)
- 2 large green peppers diced in 1-2″ square
- 1 large onion diced in 1-2″ square
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 5 cups cooked rice
- Sriracha (optional)
- Sumac (optional)
- Lemon Zest (optional)
- Mix all garlic sauce ingredients and blend, refrigerate for 1 hour
- Grill pineapple eight minutes, flip and grill for an additional 5 minutes. Set aside
- Chopped peppers and onions into 1-2″ inch cubes, toss in 1 TBS of Rosemary Garlic Seasoning (see above for recipe)
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of garlic rosemary seasoning (see above for recipe) on chicken and rub spices into the meat
- Cook chicken in a medium hot pan for 15 minutes, flip and cook an additional 10 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165°
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan cook on medium heat onions and peppers with olive oil until tender approximately 10 minutes
- Serving suggestion: rice, chicken, 2 pieces of pineapple, 3/4 cup of green peppers and onions, lemon zest, a line of sriracha sauce (omit if you don’t want spicy) garlic sauce and top with a sprinkle of sumac
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10.6g||16.3%|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||12.5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 76.9g||25.6%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.3g||13.2%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
|Calcium 82mg||Iron 4mg|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.