I love chicken wings. In my opinion, it is the tastiest part of the chicken. It is crispy, tender and flavourful. I love going to a pub to have beer and chicken wings. As a parent, I don’t get out as often as I would like. The next best thing, is the bring the pub to you. I bake chicken wings. Don’t worry, I promise I have an easy way for you to cook them in the oven, and they will not be soggy or fleshy.
I learned this trick a few years ago, and honestly, it’s a game changer. The secret ingredient is baking powder. Baking powder is often thought for use in baking only. It is combination of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and cream of tartar. What does it do to chicken wings? It drys out the skin which results in crisping.
Start by pat drying the chicken wings with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl add the wings, sprinkle with baking powder. Then use your hands and toss them until all the wings are covered. If you need a little more baking powder that’s ok.
I strongly suggest you use parchment paper or a silicone mat. There is a good chance it will stick, unless you have a high end non-stick baking sheet. Lay the wings without letting them overlap. If they do they will be soggy.
Bake the wings for 40 minutes in a 425F oven. Turn chicken wings about 10-15 minutes before done.
Once the chicken wings are done toss immediately with preferred dry seasoning or sauce. I like to choose a couple different ones to please everyone. Some dry and some wet. Here are some of my favourite dry seasonings.
Enjoy your pub night at home.
Suggested beer pairing: pale ale or an IPA. If beer isn’t your thing, my suggested wine parings: sauvignon blanc, pinot grigio, or Chardonnay.
Picky Eaters Note: Serve a picky eater wings that have not been tossed in a seasoning or sauce. My picky eater makes me take off the skin and bones. Kind of takes the fun out of eating chicken wings, doesn’t it?
- 4 lbs split chicken wings
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup baking powder (or more if needed)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Pat dry chicken wings with paper towel
- Season with salt and pepper
- Toss in a large bowl with baking powder. All wings should be lightly dusted, use more baking powder if needed
- arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet so that none are touching
- Bake for 30 minutes flip wings and continue cooking for 10 minutes
- Toss with favourite dry seasoning mix or sauce and serve
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 63.6g||97.8%|
|Saturated Fat 17.8g||89%|
|Total Carbohydrate 4.8g||1.6%|
|Dietary Fiber .3g||1.2%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
|Calcium 483mg||Iron 5mg|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.